Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Harari Sport & Cultural Event: By Brother Surat

The 13th Harari Cultural & Sports events just concluded in Dallas and I have learned that the success of the event was beyond the expectation of the organizers. Truth be told, I have a mixed feeling about the whole thing. On the one hand, I want to express my joy about the event and thank those who have put their effort to make it a success. On the flip side, I canʼt help feeling disappointed by the nature of some of the events which I failed to see any cultural value at all. Let me elaborate.

Since the beginning of the summer event, there were two major parts that have become the mainstay, namely the soccer competition and the weekend parties. Eventually, other events were added that were more in line with the Harari culture and way of life. And these were the Harari Day show (Cultural show), Ziwariq (picnic) and Mawlud. Since I have participated in all of these additional events, I believe that they have added a measure of acculturation to the diaspora Hararis who are not totally connected to their culture. And I would like to see more manpower spent on these events to make them worthwhile. But let me get back to the original two components of the events and see if anyone else shares my concern

In my view, the soccer program never got off the ground from the inception. The level of skill never seems to improve from year to year. I understand that all the players are volunteers who participate to add color to the program, but there is little improvement to show for when the players hit the field every year. There hardly was a complete team from any number of the cities who participate in the event. Players are haphazardly gathered from any city and are persuaded to play for any team that is short. Most of the time, players start practicing for the games a month or two before the event although there might be a team that practices most of the year. Believe me, I really do understand the problems facing many of our communities in trying to do their best by organizing a team and sending them for a tournament because I was once part of an organizing team for such an event. But somehow we were unable to make a dent in the normal progress of having a good team that we can all enjoy watching them play. I am sure this is one of the areas that newly reformed Federation should focus to see some changes. Let us face it, in order to be true to the spirit of the event and continue calling it a sports and cultural event, we should at least make an effort to show some improvement not only in soccer but in all other fields of sports that include women and children as well. I have seen some improvements regarding programs for children but women have never been a priority of the organizers judging by past experience. And I hope to see some improvement there.

But the last issue I would like to deal with is the gala nights. The program was first started to give chance for our Harari performers to showcase their talent and entertain the crowd. And here is my dilemma and a major concern which needs to be discussed as an important issue. Let me just say what is obvious on my part; I have always liked Harari music and am still partial to it and listen every chance I get. And I am sure most of the people who go to gala night have the same passion for Harari music as myself. But I am not exactly sure when it started, what I am hearing about these events is way past onesʼ love for Harari music. If some non-Harari person accidentally enters this party hall, I am confident that he will flatly deny that these are Hararis. Of course, assuming the person is familiar with Harari culture and people. The skimpy dress of our girls, and the mothers who dress no better than their daughters and do not mind what is going on, the free inter-mingling of Harari men and women on the dancing floor, and good number of young Hararis who get a fix of their alcohol from the outside, etc. is definitely not a scene that is attributable to a hundred percent Muslin society. Most of you who are familiar with the party scene surely know what I am talking about but nobody seems too concerned for the issue to merit any discussion. The scene I just outlined is in total contradiction of the basic tenets of our religion and should be a point of discussion if we at all call this a cultural event. It is high time to remember that our culture and way of life is more or less inter-twined with our religion and it is difficult to delineate where one starts and the other ends. It should be the concern of every Harari worthy of the name to find a remedy before things totally fall apart.

I understand that the party night is a major attraction of the event. Probably most of the participants in the event come for that purpose only. Well, if that is the case, we need to search deep within ourselves and examine our beliefs and morals because I really feel that we are at a cross-road. I am a strong supporter of these summer events that bring Hararis from near and Afar. So many lost friends have found each other and it has become a meeting venue for a number of family and friends. There are so many good things about the event that we should make every effort to preserve it, but at the same time we should be able to find a solution to some of the pressing problems that is facing us square in the eye.

Surat

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

IT IS TIME NOW WE ALL GET INVOLVED AND TAKE A STAND IN THE RELATIONS WITH OUR SOMALIAN BROTHERS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. WE NEED TO CULTIVATE A PEACEFULL RESOLUTION TO THE ONGOING CRISIS AND TERRORISM WHICH AFFECTS OUR LIVELIHOOD INDIRECTLY. WE NEED TO CONDEMN THE MASS KILLINGS OF ALL INVOLVED AND THE PEACEFULL SOMALIS THROUGHOUT THIS ALLAH'S GIVEN EARTH

6:18 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Brother Surat. It seems our annual events are getting less and less about cultural maintenance and more about "hooking up". I would like to see more cultural value added to our events and historical preservation of what our grandmothers and grandfathers come to expect from us no matter where we live or grew up. I can say this only because I grew up in the U.S. I’ve never been to Harar but know the level of respect and “adab” that’s expected of me from my parents. I am in my 30’s and as a beautiful, strong gey kahat I don’t feel the need to as Brother Surat said “dress skimpy” to get noticed. I challenge next years (2011) organizers in Dallas to step it up and make this “Harari Sports and Cultural Events” about Harari sports AND culture.

9:57 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home